[BlueBream] multilingual with blubream

Justin Ryan jryan at reliefgarden.org
Fri Aug 6 00:52:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:35 AM, zizou afix <ziz.root at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hello!

> i'm learning bluebream and  i want first to make a multilingual site.
> I think the method is to use I18n ? (maybe gettext?)
> but i have not found (or understand), exemple or documentation for Zope3 or
> bluebream.
> is it possible to give a simple exemple of using or a good link

i18n/gettext is a good way to set up a message catalog for the user
interface, but does not handle multilingual content.

Though it is nowhere near directly applicable as a code example for
BlueBream, the implementation I know of for multilingual content in
Zope, which only works for Plone, is LinguaPlone:

  http://www.plone.org/products/linguaplone

We used this for the following site:

  http://montreal.siggraph.org/

Essentially, there is an entirely separate content object for each
language, it may be possible to distill some design from LP itself,
but there are probably simpler solutions which you could implement
with BlueBream.  For instance, you could store translations as
Annotations, or using named adapters.

One thing you'll find that makes a great deal of sense with
LinguaPlone's model is that the separate content object has a
translated id as well, so, e.g.:

  http://some.site.com/welcome

becomes, en espanol:

  http://some.site.com/bienvenidos

And so forth.

There may be a z3/ztk/bb pure solution for content translation, or at
least something to facilitate, but I don't know off hand what it would
be - maybe someone else on the list does.

I'm sorry I can't offer a more clear-cut solution, but hope what I
have offered is helpful in some way.

Best,

Justin