[BlueBream] [Blueprint] Releasing BlueBream

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.com
Wed Jan 27 09:08:26 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I started working on defining a blueprint (proposal) for
> BlueBream release.  This proposal will also define
> "What is a BlueBream release":
> http://wiki.zope.org/bluebream/ReleasingBlueBream
>
> At this point nothing is set in stone.  Initially I thought
> we will just release a "versions.cfg" compatible with
> Buildout.  BTW, this is how Grok is releasing:
> http://grok.zope.org/project/releases/1.1a1
>
> But there might be some users who want to use a
> "package index" compatible with easy_install & pip.
> We can use a modified version of "zope.z2release"
> module to create an index.  BTW, Zope 2 release
> has both "versions.cfg" and "package index".
>
> Any one want to volunteer to help me in creating
> the blueprint (proposal) and the implementation
> part ?
>
> In future, as a third option, we will consider PIP bundle,
> but definitely not for 1.0 release:
> http://pip.openplans.org/#bundles
>
> If any volunteers coming forward to help in these tasks,
> we will go for the second option of "package index"
> along with "versions.cfg" release, otherwise we will go
> for "versions.cfg" only release.

I decided not to support second "package index" approach
for 1.0 release.

Some thoughts:

- More than one way to do things is not good
- It will be required to document both approaches, which may make confusion
- Buildout is the officially recommended approach.
- Unnecessary maintenance of two approaches
- Our sister project, Grok is also doing one way
- "versions.cfg" is easy to create.
- BlueBream embrace Buildout. hmm.. duplicate entry ? ;)

BTW, If anyone create a community supported index
I am fine with that.  Please make sure, you document it also.

Regards,
Baiju M