[BlueBream] Views for basic ZODB control

Ilshad Khabibullin astoon.net at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:04:38 EST 2010

Adam GROSZER <agroszer at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Baiju,
>
> Thursday, March 4, 2010, 5:24:48 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> 2) What do you think about some views for manage ZODB. Generally.
>
> BM> Yes, an admin user interface would be good.  But registering views in the
> BM> default skin/layer is not a good idea.  It should be a separate skin.
> BM> What about creating a simple admin UI ? bb.admin ?  I think
> BM> we can use 'bb' as a namespace package. Well, we need to discuss
> BM> more about this topic.
>
> Have a look a zam* packages. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Admin UI needed, it's obviosly, not only for begginers, but for experts
also. For example, I need UI to press button which will run z3c.configurator and
populate database, or press some button somewhere to run zope
generations. And I need to see some simple tree with simple
introspection. And somtimes I need plugin mechanism to include new form
into admin UI.

But BB is not Grok and it's not zope, lets not forget this. There are yet another way:

1) In tutorial and manuals we never consider `clicking buttons and links
in Admin UI', but explain how works BB and ZODB.

2) We can have any number of 3rd modules (may be, some of them in z3c
namespace and etc) and each of these modules offer some simple UI to
control ZODB. If we'll assign some package to be _default_ BB Admin UI,
one will like this package, one will not like it:)

3) In docs (mostly in wiki) consider each of the Admin UI package. If
the UI is simple to use and install, it need not big manual, just pair
of paragraphs.

As example, right now I experiment with usage Admin UI not as
independent skin, but as module which works in any z3c.pagelet based
skin and (has plugin mechanism to inlude new forms, of course).
Really, I need exact this approach right now.
(http://picasaweb.google.com/astoon.net/Misc#5445042423264992098)
It's just experiments yet.

PS. Need to see ZAM also, of course. In context of explaination in
tutorial and using as replacable admin UI.

--
Ilshad R. Khabibullin
+7 922 600 56 06