[BlueBream] detaching BlueBream from most of zope.app.*

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.com
Mon May 3 21:54:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Ilshad Khabibullin <astoon.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/5/4 Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Does BlueBream intend to maintain the ZMI?
>
> Not.

We need to document how to use community supported
admin interfaces like ice.control along with BB.
We can include all those community packages
in our "community.cfg" for compatibility testing.

>> We worked this out for Grok but I thought I'd sketch it out here.
>>
>> Grok now needs of zope.app.* only:
>>
>> zope.app.appsetup
>> zope.app.wsgi
>> zope.app.publication
>> zope.app.http
>>
>> I think BlueBream could also be set up to only use this set of packages.
>>
>> In order to do this, the main thing we had to do was dump the dependency
>> on zope.app.zcmlfiles and zope.app.testing. To replace
>> zope.app.zcmlfiles you simply need to write a biiig ZCML file for the
>> standard BlueBream app (or some BlueBream library package) that includes
>> all the required ZCML.
>
> Now it is done.

Currently we are doing it in the project template level.  I hope
we can improve it with new packages.

>> This ZCML should not need to include any
>> zope.app.* packages except the ones above, and of course the required
>> zope.* packages.
>>
> But - for the next releases. Current release, BB 1.0 uses zope.app.*

Yes, BB 1.0 package versions are freezed.  And BB 1.1 release
is not very far: http://wiki.zope.org/bluebream/OnePointOne

>> Replacing zope.app.testing: we've done the work for you in the
>> zope.app.* packages above (I think we still have an test dependency on
>> it in zope.app.http, the rest is free of it too). If you want to use
>> functional tests you can rewrite your tests to use the
>> zope.app.wsgi.testlayer infrastructure. This also includes a way to use
>> zope.testbrowser without zope.app.testing, through WSGI.
>>

> Wow. Need discussion... :)

I am +1 for dropping zope.app.testing slowly.

May be we need to look into this community package also:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/van.testing

>> Anyway, I thought this was a cool development and wanted to share this
>> with the BlueBream people so that they can hopefully use this too.

Thanks for sharing !

Regards,
Baiju M