[ZF] Fedora Foundation Update

Rob Page rob.page at zope.com
Thu Apr 6 13:44:28 EDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 8:33 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
 > Perhaps more relevant: creating the foundation as a
 > 501(c)3 public charity (under US tax law) would have
 > actaully *prevented* Red Hat from spending as much on
 > Fedora as they intend.  The requirements for "public
 > funding" (1/3 after four years) would have been
 > staggeringly high, given the amounts RH currently
 > spends to support Fedora.

IANAL...

IIUC, this is true if RH wanted to run the support
costs through the foundation.  That is, if RH wanted to
spend $10M on Fedora and run it through the Foundation
(ostensibly in order to get a deduction) then the
Foundation would have to raise $5M from outside
sources.

Most R&D on Zope will, I expect, continue to come from
the community and off the books of the ZF.  While the
ZF will still have the 1/3 requirement it will be on a
smaller cash flow.  I certainly hope that we can meet
the 501(c)3 requirements in four years!  :^)

Regards,
Rob

--
Rob Page               V: 540 361 1710