[ZF] Re: Volunteer needed to maintain mailman installation

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Apr 22 15:49:32 EDT 2007

Hey there,

again, sorry for everything taking so long and being so laggy.

I was talking to Steve Alexander about this and he told me that they
hired Barry to implement mailing list functionality in launchpad using
mailman.

They're aiming at getting this done within the next few months and Steve
generously offered to talk about importing our existing archives,
subscribers and a transition mechanism that allows  keeping our DNS
names stable.

They are also considering allowing closed mailing lists as we need them
for e.g. the foundation board, the security team etc. for a small yearly
payment.

In general, Steve and the people at launchpad/Canonical seem to want to
help us ease the burden of system maintenance and are very interested in
launchpad being used by Zope AFAICT. (We ended up being one of their
example projects in the usage guide for launchpad and Mark Shuttleworth
used us as a reference for people switching to launchpad.)

This is a very generous offer that also is interesting because we
probably won't get a better supported (mailman) platform as Barry is on
the hook. Due to that, I'd like to pursue launchpad as the mailing list
provider for us.

Comments?

Christian