[ZF] Thoughts about the process

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Aug 25 13:01:23 EDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Christian Theune wrote:
> http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/ctheune/foundation/process.txt?
> rev=78735&view=markup

I like the overall tone and approach.

Some comments:

 > Actions:
 >
 > * Set up wiki to document the process and the meta process.

I can live with a Wiki, but I'd rather manage this in subversion.

There should also be a launchpad tracker for it.

 > * Decide about place of discussing the process between committers,
inform the
 >   committers about the decision

I suggest this list or zope-dev. It would be great if we could
finally retire zope3-dev.

 > * Communicate the wiki to the projects using the process, set up
pointers from
 >   their homepages to the wiki

I prefer svn,

 > * Have the ZF acknowledge that they are guiding

Who is they? What constitutes guidance? Do you want someone to
actually guide? Or just to acknowledge it? ;)

 > * Set up a todo list in the wiki for process issues that need to
be worked on

I prefer svn,

 > What does it mean to be an official Zope project?

Why does it matter?  What is accomplished by defining "official" Zope
projects.  I'd prefer to see something more dynamic, based on metrics
(e.g. measures of maintenance like unresolved issues) and maybe ratings.

Whatever we do along these lines, I hope we work within the larger
Python community.  Adopting and even contributing to tools like the
Python package index or maybe cheesecake to make them better and meet
our needs. (I'm not very happy with cheesecake, but maybe it or
something like it would be good.)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org