[ZF] Thoughts about the process

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Aug 27 16:05:05 EDT 2007

FWIW, I think that a good percentage of what we're trying to
accomplish with a development process would be inherently taken care
of if:

- each package that made it into whatever we call "Zope" was an
independently packaged
   and release-managed entity that listed its dependencies properly
(probably using setuptools
   'requires', 'extras_require", and 'tests_require' dependency
declarations in a setup.py
   developed specifically for the package).

- There was a document describing what is expected of a "zope"
package (it has its own
   setup.py, it lists its dependencies properly, it is released with
"real" version numbers,
   it's registered in the cheeseshop.. or whatever).

 From what I can tell, we're getting there with this sort of thing
(at least I see folks working on setuptools distributions of core
components).  I haven't been paying much attention to how Zope 3 is
released lately, but the last time I looked, it was in the form of a
big tarball.  It would be great if instead it was released as a
metapackage that caused all distributions it depended on to be
installed when it was.

At that point, we'd have a basis for argument about which packages
were important/good/useful enough to be depended on by the
metapackage (which would form the "core"), but it wouldn't be all
that big of a deal if something was in the core or it wasn't because
"well-behaved" Zope packages could be installed via setuptools as
required.  Additionally, things that are currently in the core but
don't really deserve "package" status (if only because no one would
be willing to step up to do the release maintenance on them) could be
shed.

If we agreed on that, I think then the specifics of creating a
"development process" might fall out more clearly and concretely.

- C