[ZF] Re: [Zope3-dev] Official Zope packages

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Jul 25 11:24:26 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 25.07.2007, 11:16 -0400 schrieb Jim Fulton:
> > My interest is to use it as a way to collectively decide where I (and
> > gocept) spend time contributing.
>
> OK. Since I don't know what it means, I don't think I'd use it that way.

My sentence was broken and I can't recover it too. Let's ignore it.

> IMO, it is not  a good goal to find maintainers for projects in the
> repository just because they're there.  It might be a good goal to:
>
> - Move projects out of the respository or to an unmaintained section
> of the respository when they cease to be maintained.
>
> - It might also be useful to create a separate area of the repository
> for exploratory projects.

Agreed. I feel like the Sandbox would be a good place.

> For me, there are two criteria for decoding what to work on:
>
> - They help or interest me (or ZC) directly,
>
> - They are important for furthering the health of the community or
> Zope brand.

Ah. Same here (replace ZC with gocept. ;) )

> I don't spend as much time as some might think I do or should
> thinking about what falls in the second category.   I pitch in when
> something's obvious and when I can.  It would be nice if more people
> helped figure that out. (I miss Paul's contributions there.)
>
> A separate issue I thought you were talking about is making it easier
> for consumers to tell what they should use, but I don't think that is
> the problem you are trying to address in this discussion.

Right. That's a problem I brought up because it feels related but it's
not the issue I want to solve now.

> I'd be interested in hearing other folks thoughts on this.
>
> > If we could establish working groups that have some focus, those
> > groups
> > could decide to take over the maintenance of a certain package or not.
>
> The authors of the foundation documents seem to anticipate this kind
> of thing.  It needs someone to get it started.

I'd be happy to help getting it started. We're currently putting aside an
hour every week with our whole team to work on general stuff together. (E.g. we
started looking into the dependencies of the new satellite projects today.)

It's just a little time, be we want to do small but regular steps to get us forward.

Christian