[ZF] Proposal: Launchpad code hosting for ZF projects; free commercial support for migration

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Feb 27 11:22:14 EST 2009

Gary Poster wrote:
> Hi, Chris.
>
> On Feb 27, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Gary Poster wrote:
>>> Launchpad would really like to provide code hosting for the Zope
>>> Foundation.
>> This, unfortunately, means using bzr.
>>
>> Other people may disagree, but bzr is not mature yet, particularly
>> when
>> it comes to GUI tools, particularly on Windows.
>>
>> I would be really upset to lose all that is offered by TortoiseSVN in
>> terms of introspection of the revision tree, visual diffing over
>> periods
>> of time, etc.
>
> I take it that http://bazaar-vcs.org/TortoiseBzr is insufficient in
> some way?  I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like what you
> describe.

I know that bzr has some issues on Windows which are an ongoing sore
point for the Squid development team (line endings get hosed, I think?)
 Since Squid switched to using bzr (for the 3.x lines), the chief
developer supporting the Windows port has basically quit working on
Squid3 Windows support:

 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.squid.devel/7664

I'm definitely -1 on even considering a move until this issue is
resolved, and the fix widely deployed:

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/304883

Note that it should be possible for folks to use bzr-svn, just as with
git-svn and the hg equivalent, to work with the DVCS tools while keeping
 the SVN repository as the centralized store.  See Philipp's post on
git, for instance:

  http://philikon.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/i-dig-git/

Tres.
- --