[ZF] Repository choice: Please indicate your preference until Sunday 9/23

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Tue Sep 25 07:23:50 UTC 2012

On Sep 17, 2012, at 9:16 , Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

> 1) Retain the status quo: We stick with Subversion and the existing infrastructure on svn.zope.org. Nothing changes.
>
> 2) GitHub only: The foundation will create writable GitHub repositories under the "zopefoundation" GitHub name. Every contributor must then open a GitHub account and we'll try to map current contributors to those GitHib accounts (the details haven't been fully planned)
>
> … and the official recommendation from the board of directors, which in our opinion provides the best compromise between the foundation's charter to safeguard the code and keep a clean "chain of ownership" on one side and the convenience of the GitHub web interface on the other side:
>
> 3) Self-hosted Git repositories with read-only GitHub clones: The foundation will provide Git repositories and surrounding infrastructure like a Web viewer on foundation-owned hardware, creating a "git.zope.org" site analogous to the existing "svn.zope.org" and the still-running "cvs.zope.org". The current authentication mechanism using SSH keys is retained, and apart from the difference in VCS systems and URLs your login remains the same. In addition, we will create read-only GitHub clones for all those who desire the GitHub web interface.

Hi all,

To recap, out of 46 nominated members and 7 sponsor members I have seen 16 "votes", plus 1 implicit vote for an individual who is a nominated member as well as a sponsor representative. The tally:

2) GitHub only: 14 votes

3) Self-hosted Git: 3 votes

As I announced in the original email the board will use this poll as input for a vote on the final outcome at the next board meeting, scheduled for October 2.

Thanks to all who participated!

jens