[ZF] A couple of github issues

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 17:08:27 UTC 2013

On 31/01/2013 23:14, Jim Fulton wrote:
> There are a couple of issues we need to address:
>
> 1. In github, developers can't create repos.

Not one I've hit, but who can? Organisation owners? If so, why not make
more people them?

>     There are a number of ways to mitigate this.  I'll throw some out
>     for discussion:
>
>     - use bitbucket which has saner permissions (or try to get github
>       to fix their permissions)

I have to be honest, having just done a multi-month code review and
patch process for integrating the xlrd pull request for Python 3
support*, I would be really sad to see us lose out on the amazing code
review and interaction features that GitHub offers...

>     - Switch to a more course-grained repository-management strategy,
>       managing multiple Python projects in a single git repo.

That doesn't feel right... although it is effectively what we had with
svn. My gut feel is there should be one repo per python package.

Chris

* https://github.com/python-excel/xlrd/pull/21
I was pretty blown away by the inline commenting, sensible email
notifications and then accumulating all that in the issue-ish list at
the url I gave...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk