[ZF] Finances and services

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed Feb 13 12:52:46 UTC 2013

Hi Jim,

>> We're spending money on the following:
>>
>> - hosting (2 physical servers at Hetzner, about $180/month)
>
> $180/month each? or for the pair?

> Are there 2 for redundancy? That is, are hosted services replicated
> across them? (Is that even possible with mailman?)

The $180 is the total bill from Hetzner, which includes the two servers, fees for several additional IPs, hardware RAID with mirrored drives in each server, and VAT.

The two servers are for balancing server load and redundancy, but there is no service-by-service "hot standby" configuration in place, other than a simple cross-backup of all relevant data to the other server to prevent data loss and allow service deployment if really needed. So for e.g. Mailman, I could configure and run an instance on the second server in a reasonable amount of time as I have all data and configuration available on that second server.

jens