[ZF] Volunteering

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Feb 13 12:56:11 UTC 2013

I volunteer (nominate myself) for the Zope Foundation Board.

I would really *really* like to see some other new people volunteer.

My impression is that a lot of people appreciate the existing board's
work less for what it's accomplished than because it allows them to
ignore the Zope Foundation.  This is understandable and rational. :)

This has been my attitude up to now, but I disagree with the approach
the board has taken to the move to github. This isn't to say that the
board has done a "bad" job, but that I think we should approach it
differently. I'm also a little concerned with the pile of money the
Foundation is sitting on and not putting to better use. Again, this is
not meant as a criticism of the board, but just pointing out that I'd
like to see if we should do something a little different.  Finally,
I'd like the board to be more engaged with the wider membership.

The Zope Foundation was formed with grand ambitions, with bylaws and
structures to match.  The volunteer efforts and engagement of the
community hasn't matched those ambitions.  Zope is far less important
than it once was, though it lives on in some form, though some popular
projects.  I think we should refocus our efforts toward the new
realities, doing only what we really need to do and, in some cases,
doing it better.

I really do appreciate the boards effort up to now. And thank
them for it.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton