[Grok-dev] Re: big grok refactoring

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Dec 12 15:15:30 EST 2006

Hey again,

I've done a little bit of a mopping up operation. This makes it possible
  to specify the entire grok process using grokkers. _grok.py has become
really simple. grokkers.py has become simpler than last night's checkin
as less special casing is now necessary. meta.py has been expanded with
various new grokkers.

The only bit remaining to have full extensibility is to adjust our
scanning procedure to grok up any meta.py's first before grokking the
rest. This could be done by following the ZCML pattern and introducing a
meta.zcml in any package that wants to introduce new grokkable things.
This would then grok the meta module or any other modules that contain
grokkers. Hm, I think that this would be possible without doing any more
code changes, cool!

My final goal is for a grok application to work without any ZCML though.
Well, actually my final final goal is to load up Zope 3 without any ZCML
processing. :)

Overall, I think it's been quite successful to define Grok in terms of
itself. This makes for a certain conceptual elegance...