[Grok-dev] Re: layers and skins

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Apr 19 17:48:07 EDT 2007

On 19 Apr 2007, at 23:40 , Kevin Smith wrote:
> So, regardless of the final outcome of the names, it seems there is
> a concensus on the mechanics of how it works.
>
> Based on a merger of Martijn and Philipps proposals.
>
> class IMonterey(grok.ILayer):
>    pass
>
> class Monterey(grok.Theme):
>    grok.layer(IMonterey)
>    grok.name('myskin') # defaults to this

No, it would default to 'monterey' in this case. Also, as a general
inside joke we happen to say "# this is actually the default" in our
spec documents :).

> +0 grok.Theme, the word it's not widely used (although that might
> be a positive)
>
> +1 grok.Skin, this feels better to me even if it's not literally
> correct
>
> -1 grok.implements, although it sounds good on the tongue, it
> appears to warp the real meaning too much
>
> +1 grok.layer, I don't think there's a real negative to this

grok.layer has a different meaning: it sets the layer that grok.Views
are on. It should at least be grok.layers (plural!), perhaps even
grok.from_layers to be less confusing and less mistakable with
grok.layer.