[Grok-dev] Re: problems with the philikon-eggification branch

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Apr 23 15:44:51 EDT 2007

Hey,

> ImportError:
> /home/faassen/buildout/grok-eggs/eggs/zope.proxy-3.4.0a1-py2.4-linux-i686.egg/zope/proxy/_zope_proxy_proxy.so:
> undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsEncodedString
>
> I've seen this one before. This is because the zope.proxy egg has been
> uploaded as binary, and this leads to problems outside of Windows. My
> Python has been compiled with UCS2 and the Python that was used to
> compile the egg was set to UCS4, and this is incompatible. Jim already
> warned against doing this for Linux eggs and uploading sources only
> instead, and I will take this up on the Zope 3 dev mailing list.

I spoke too soon, my apologies. I realized that I switched Python
interpreters in the middle of a buildout myself, and that this was not
due to binary eggs being uploaded.

To defend myself, I had to switch Python interpreters as Ubuntu Feisty
installs a humongous exception handling hook for any errors that occur
in Python files start are started with the executable flag set. That is,
if my .py file is +x, it will kick in. Since buildout creates those in
normal operation, that means I have to deal with it.

The hook looks intended to pop up an error message to the user and
collect error data to send back to Ubuntu. Unfortunately, the hook is
also *buggy* for Python 2.4, making use of Python 2.5 features, which is
how I found out about its existence in the first place. I've sent my
complaint to Ubuntu.