[Grok-dev] Re: Patch to grokproject

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sun Aug 12 13:33:48 EDT 2007

On 8/12/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> > Currenly grokproject does not include the user app package in the
> > generated ftesting.zcml. There's no point in generating this file
> > without this additional include directive, IMHO. If you give me a
> > green light, I'll apply the patch this Saturday.
>
> +1

Thanks, Philipp. It's done.

> > I also think that skeleton doctests (unit and functional) should be
> > generated by grokproject, for the same reason a skeleton app module
> > and index template are generated.
>
> Hmmm, perhaps. What do others think? Too much boilerplate?

Boilerplate is always bad. At best, it's a necessary evil: code we are
condemned to copy and paste forever for the sake of flexibilty, for
those rare opportunities when we need some variation on the
boilerplate.

Once we assume that the boilerplate is needed, for instance, to
properly setup tests, and to perform the tests themselves, I think it
is natural for a user friendly tool like grokproject to provide the
boilerplate ready to use. It least that is what every other major web
framework these days is doing. Especially since the grok code base
itself is not a very good source for the testing boilerplate code,
since it has it's own particular testing needs.

But I agree that a good framework should reduce the need for
boilerplate code to a minimum.

Regards,

Luciano