[Grok-dev] Re: martian.scan changed

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Aug 17 16:16:56 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 8/17/07, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
[snip]
> > Not sure how it would help - the idea is that grok doesn't actually
> > grok anything defined in test and ftests modules. Comes to mind, this
> > directly conflicts with having grok pick up tests, though it'll
> > probably be another run anyway.
>
> Not sure, whether I understood correctly. Is the aim for grok not to
> grok tests (tests/ftests modules) by default but only when told so
> explicitly (by the tests for example)?

Sorry about being obscure!

JW is on vacation, but we should let him speak about his use case. I
*believe* his motivation to have grok *not* look in tests or ftests
was so that test-setup code that might subclass from a Grok class
wouldn't be grokked during the main program execution. You don't want
classes that are there purely for testing purposes (and that are
manually grokked) to be picked up while your application is running.

This makes sense. When we collect tests however, we *would* want to
explicitly grok tests and ftests for tests (or perhaps even only
them). Since the test-grokking would happen during another phase
(test-collection) than the main-execution grokking, this contradiction
may in fact not be a problem.