[Grok-dev] grok.Permission and grok.Role

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 24 09:23:25 EDT 2007

I apologize if this feedback comes a bit late, though I guess it's not
too late to potentially change anything.

In grok we use mostly use classes to define and register components. The
class we create is the component and the fact that it inherits from a
special base class gets it registered. If grok needs additional hints
for the registration, we use directives a la grok.name().

All this is violated by grok.Permission and grok.Role. When I create a
new permission, like so,

   class MyPermission(grok.Permission):
       grok.name('grok.MyPermission')
       grok.title('My permission!')
       grok.description('...')

the newly created class is actually not an IPermission. Furthermore,
it's not an instance of *this* class that gets registered as an
IPermission utility, it's an instance of a completely separate class. So
the class I've created is a completely dead chicken. The same applies to
roles.

Judging from the experience that I have with grok.GlobalUtility, but
also with any other elementary grok component, I would at least expect
to be able to exercise the IPermission interface (or IRole interface,
respectively):

   permission = MyPermission()
   print permission.id
   print permission.title
   print permission.description

This brings us to how we can define permissions: we can simply fill out
the IPermission interface on the class:

   class MyPermission(grok.Permission):
       id = 'grok.MyPermission'
       title = 'My permission!'
       description = '...'

You might argue that we now no longer use the grok.name() etc.
directives. I don't consider this a disadvantage. After all, they're
supposed to be *extra hints* for the grokker to do creation and
registration. If the object already inherently contains this
information, I think it's much more valuable to have it with the object
in the manner that's meaningful and described by the object's API
(IPermission and IRole in this case).