[Grok-dev] Dynamic Schemas: Best practices?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed Dec 12 11:02:49 EST 2007

Previously Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Therefore my (maybe dumb) question: is there a best practice or
> recommended way to set up such data containers, that provide a certain
> set of allowed field-types which lateron can be modified by users? Or is
> this a configuration issue, which should be handled outside the source
> code?

We had a similar issue in Plone recently: how can add-on products extend
existing content types and their schema. What we ended up with is the
idea that types have a basic schema, but by using a schema adapter we
can let others modify the schema. This resulted in
archetypes.schemaextender (see
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/archetypes.schemaextender) which seems to
solve this nicely. I suspect a similar pattern can be used here.

Wichert.