[Grok-dev] New sample app: LoginDemo

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sat Dec 29 02:14:20 EST 2007

Inspired by the fantastic "Useless Account" [1] I decided to write a
little Grok sample app showing how to do basic user account creation
and logins [2].

[1] http://uselessaccount.com/
[2] http://svn.zope.org/grokapps/LoginDemo/

Most of the code I lifted from Kirbi, and a few lines from the great
Permissions Tutorial [3] by Luis, Uli and JW.

[3] http://grok.zope.org/minitutorials/permissions.html

As a result of this exercise in isolating this code, I came to the
conclusion that this stuff is a bit too complicated in Grok.

As we move to a 1.0 I believe this functionality should be made easier
to setup and use. Perhaps one of our "sensible defaults" could be the
combination of a PrincipalFolder with SessionCredentialsPlugin
preconfigured in our Grok.Application (or a subclass of that).

Main features (from the README.txt):

- top bar displays user data and login status

- links in top bar change according to login status

- user can create own account

- a list of created accounts can be seen in the member listing page

- member listing page is protected by permission, requiring user log in

- good functional test coverage (see text files in src/logindemo/ftests)

There are some todos as well. See the README.txt.

Cheers,

Luciano