[Grok-dev] Re: Apache support for Grok

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jan 11 05:48:59 EST 2007

Carlos de la Guardia wrote:
> On 1/10/07, *Philipp von Weitershausen* <philipp at weitershausen.de
> <mailto:philipp at weitershausen.de>> wrote:
>

>     The first prototype of modzope was w/o WSGI. When WSGI landed in Zope 3,
>     I refactored modzope to use that. It ended up being mostly a deletion.
>     modzope nowadays is just a teeny bit of integration code between Zope's
>     WSGIPublisherApplication and the modpython WSGI gateway.
>

> How stable it is? Do you think it could hold up in a production
> environment? I would be willing to take a look at it.

It's a prototype, but I don't see why it couldn't be used in a
production environment. The version of wsgiref it uses is probably
outdated. Perhaps there's also a newer mod_python WSGI bridge than the
one I used (wsgi.py).

One thing that one needs to be aware of: Apache typically starts a bunch
of Python interpreters (one per Apache process I think). Zope 3 needs to
load a lot of bootstrap configuration (ZCML) when it starts up. It also
needs to access the ZODB. The easiest configuration would therefore be
to tell Apache to ever only start 1 Python interpreter. An alternative
would be to load several and use ZEO (but then you need a daemon process
again).

2nd edition of Web Component Development with Zope 3 is now shipping!