[Grok-dev] Re: Zope 3 error message rage... :)

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Sun Jul 8 15:47:07 EDT 2007

Two things that I have found difficult. I often get look up errors
but it is difficult to understand what went wrong.

I also hade a "TypeError: unsubscriptable object" when I inserted an
extra attirbute in my <html> tag in a page template...

I try to read the stack trace, but stack traces are tricky. I mean I
can se what the offending line is, but it is a lot more difficult
understanding why it failed, because it requires me to understand the
framework a lot better.

Maybe the stack trace could tell me more about what the framework was
attempting to do when it failed (using doc strings...). Maybe if I
could just search on that stack trace pattern to find someone else
who has had the same problem. I don't know, but what I do know is
that when I get the problem and it isn't trivial, I want to search
somewhere first to see if someone has had a similar problem.

I also know that I feel an urge to make a fresh cup of coffee when I
get a look up error, just to be prepared for some serious hours of
debugging... :p

Mvh Sebastian