[Grok-dev] Re: Grok and Ajax : KSS ?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jul 24 13:03:57 EDT 2007

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

> There were suggestions from Martijn that he would like some support of
> Ajax in Grok.
>
> I know Philipp had made some work to combine KSS and Grok.
>
> What is the current state of thinking ?
>
> Please bug me if you need help...

I don't know the status of Philipp's work. My thinking currently is the
following:

I like KSS's declarative approach, which allows one to do ajaxy stuff
without a lot of code.

It's also very unique to the Zope world though - people outside of the
Zope world are unlikely to have come across it.

If one would use some kind of well-known "traditional" javascript
library/ajax framework, the learning curve for newcomers might be a lot
less, as they might already be familiar with those approaches. We can
also reuse a lot of the existing documentation, pointing to that.

On the other hand, if someone is a complete newcomer to web developer,
following traditional ways of doing things matter less and KSS may be a
better fit.

This kind of thinking leads to an impasse which leads me to say, "we
should support both approaches". But that sucks. What do we document?
Grok is about providing one obvious way of doing things.

So I don't really know the answer there. This may mean this is a good
point to have a bit broader discussion and get some more diverse inputs
on this.