[Grok-dev] [off-topic] about IDEs

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Fri Jun 8 14:30:02 EDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.06.2007, 23:07 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Ware:
> > Since I use an IDE with autocompletion I wouldn't mind longer, self-
> > explanatory, names.
>
> The goal of DRY is exactly that you don't have to rely on IDEs for those
> tasks.

To me, the most valuable thing in an IDE is not autocompletion (which
is nice, but not as essential in Python as it is for the poor souls
who must code in Java).

But I really enjoy the ease of navigating around and browsing parts of
a large framework like Zope 3. For example, jumping to a method
definition. I guess Emacs can do the same, but I am really addicted to
the standard clipboard semantics and keyboard shortcuts of other GUI
apps, and so never managed to get used to Emacs or Vi.

Cheers,

Luciano