[Grok-dev] GSoC: progress report

Fernando Correa Neto fcdoth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:08:17 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 6/6/07, Luciano Ramalho <luciano at ramalho.org> wrote:
> Here is a list of things I've done since GSoC got underway last week:
>
> - reviewed the tutorial and posted some suggestions for improvement here
>
> - checked that I can commit code by making a minor edit in Grokstar/setup.py [1]
>   [1]  http://turing-club.googlecode.com/svn/grok/
>
> - developed two very simple Grok examples and posted the code [2]
>   [2] http://svn.zope.org/Grokstar/trunk/
>
> - reinstalled the server that will host the Wandering Books apps
>
> - installed Zope 3, and my sample apps there [3]
>   [3] http://paleosoft.org/
>
> - followed Martijn's suggestion to read about RDF and zc.relationship
>
> - revised Phillip's TodoList code and posted it [2]
>
> - read Part 1 of Phillip's book and made some notes for the errata
> (nothing big, just typos)
>
> NEXT STEPS
>
> After a brief look at the zc.relationship documentation I realized I
> must get up to speed fast into Zope 3, therefore I am reading
> Philipp's book as fast as possible, while practicing some Grok
> development as well. My plan is to punt on the development of the
> Book/Creator relationship using zc.relationship, and for the time
> being implement a CreatorRole class that will serve as the link
> between Books and Creators. Later I will refactor this with
> zc.relatioship if we decide that is the way to go.

I don't know if you did it already Luciano, but did you consider *at
least* having a look at other relationship code like
schoolbell.relationship whitch is pretty straight forward to glue in
your code than zc.relationship?
This was one of the main reasons and my point of using a package that
provide the same behavior with less code rather than pluging a very
powerfull relationship API such as zc.relationship.
To be clear: I have nothing against zc.relationship. The point is that
when I need to decide for some feature in a given project, I evaluate
a lot of different code before creating my own code.
zc.relationship is so powerfull and so low level that I couldn't
manage to get a conventional way for implemeting this in my code.
In Kirby for example, you need to decide for a package that provide
such behavior and I just wanted to hear from you, your impressions
about zc.relationship.

Regards,
Fernando