[Grok-dev] updating the tutorial

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Mar 19 17:58:26 EDT 2007

Hi everybody, and in particular Philipp :)

When you update code that could break the tutorial, please do take an
effort to update the tutorial. Philipp has been taking this effort, so
that you Philipp.

However:

When you updated the tutorial, Philipp, you rendered it incorrect. The
tutorial now says that running grokproject creates this 'app.py':

import grok

class Sample(grok.Application, grok.Container):
     pass

Since you changed grokproject, that isn't true anymore, as it has become:

import grok

class testproj(grok.Application, grok.Container):
     pass

class Index(grok.View):
     pass # see app_templates/index.pt

There's also an ``app_templates`` directory that we ignore in the first
tutorial section now.

That's not a good start for anyone following the tutorial: the code they
see when following the instructions isn't the same as what the tutorial
says it should be.

So, the lesson for everybody is that when you update the tutorial,
*also* update doc/groktut. I'll update it for you this one time. :)

P.S. I realize updating the tutorial is another step and rather a pain.
It's essential to the success of this project however. I've tried to
make setting up the examples as fast as possible too: read
doc/groktut/INSTALL.txt