[Grok-dev] Re: an 'about grok' document

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 21 10:18:47 EDT 2007

Hey,

Christian Theune wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 21.03.2007, 02:11 +0100 schrieb Martijn Faassen:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've tried to sketch out a document that tries to explain to beginners
>> why Grok's important and should be considered for your web application.
>> I basically fall back on a lot of stuff on why Zope 3 is great, and how
>> Grok is based on it, but tries to make it more easy to get into.
>>
>> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/about_grok.txt
>>
>> Please give feedback. Eventually I want to put text like this on
>> grok.zope.org.
>
> Excellent.

Thanks!

> I somewhat do agree with Behrang though about the amount of references
> to Zope 3. I do want to give lots of credit to Zope 3, but I understand
> the feeling that it might work against us. :(

I share this feeling with you and Behrang. I am looking for suggestions
to make 'about grok' stand more on its own by adding more information
about Grok as Grok. But...

I think our aim should be to turn the marketing weakness into a
strength. You know, martial arts. :)

Grok is its own thing. It has its own project name, its own website, its
own tutorial, and no understanding of Zope 3 is necessary in order to
get into it. That's as far from Zope 3 as we realistically can go.

Grok is Zope 3. It builds on Zope 3, and gains the features of Zope 3.
Our website is on zope.org.

We don't deny our background but instead are proud of it, and explain
that it is a strength.

I think no other path is left open to us. We could try to minimize Zope
3 but that'd make people think we have something to hide. People who
have an irrational dislike of all things Zope, no matter what the
quality of the individual technologies, won't be convinced anyway.

We aim for the people who have heard of Zope 3 and heard it is advanced,
but also haven't made much progress with it, because Zope 3's lack of
marketing and steep learning curve has made it hard to get into it. We
now offer a way.