[Grok-dev] Re: Portlets (and maybe other skinning).

Tim Terlegård tim at se.linux.org
Wed Mar 21 14:51:45 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:23:57AM -0600, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2007, at 02:52 , Lennart Regebro wrote:
> >>Obviously Grok should come with some manner of creating common themes
> >>for application (and it already does, ZPT macros)
> >
> >Tim pointed out to me that the forms in Grok doesn't use macros, which
> >means that you can't use a master macro if you use forms.
>
> I think 90% of the time you want to customize the form template
> anyway. I personally find the default form template quite ugly.

If zope.formlib's template are too ugly to use, either we should improve
zope.formlib or provide nicer templates in grok. Forms are really boring
and repetative and I rather don't spend much time on them, preferrably
no time at all. So I'd like to customize them in perhaps 1% of the cases,
not 90.

And the grok admin interface needs nice automatic forms, doesn't it?

> >So I don't agree that Grok supports using ZPT macros as of today.
>
> Sure it does. I can write macros and templates that use those macros.
> Sure, it takes  a bit of effort for forms, but it's possible...

I mostly agree with regebro on this point. Viewlets are essential for
doing nice things with grok. Sure one can use macros and rewrite lots of
templates, but how fun is that? And I don't think it's trivial to write
them, atleast not for newbies.

So I'd really like easy to use viewlets in grok. When it comes to
"rush", I'm not sure where that came from? If someone has a really
excellent solution tomorrow, why not go for it?

Tim