[Grok-dev] Re: an 'about grok' document

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Mar 21 16:14:38 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I've tried to sketch out a document that tries to explain to beginners
> why Grok's important and should be considered for your web application.
> I basically fall back on a lot of stuff on why Zope 3 is great, and how
> Grok is based on it, but tries to make it more easy to get into.
>
> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/about_grok.txt
>
> Please give feedback.

The text is great. It says everything it needs to say. I do share with
others on this list a concern that Zope 3 is mentioned too often.
Somebody coming from a non-Zope background might be confused by all this
mentioning of Zope 3.

Another concern I have is the first section of the document. It mentions
a lot of adjectives (fun, agile, extensible, etc.) in relation to Grok
and then gives Zope 3 as the reason why that is so. I think we can do
better in explaining *why* Grok is that way.

Attached you'll find a modified version of the document that tries to
alleviate both problems, especially the latter one. I only changed the
first section (I think the others are ok) and I incorporated as much of
the original text in the new version. Let me know what you think.

> Eventually I want to put text like this on grok.zope.org.

Yes, it should be in an "About" tab between Home and Tutorial.