[Grok-dev] Some grok experiences

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 18:15:50 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I'm really excited by what's going on here - I can't imagine a better
team of people to make Grok rock (heh). I went through the tutorial
today and had a bit of a play, and just wanted to summarise a few
experiences. I'm sure you're aware of some of these, but it's easier for
me to list them as I think of them, rather than do a lot of
cross-checking with previous discussions... so apologies if there's noise.

  - In general, Grok should look cool out of the box; the app-install
front page is not exactly exciting right now. :)

  - You can't delete grok applications from the app page, making it a
bit hard to undo your mistakes. Ditto for rename.

  - a 404 results in a page that basically has the ZMI in it, and that's
really confusing. I find the Zope 3 ZMI incredibly difficult to wrap my
head around anyway, and didn't really expect to see it here.

  - Error messages could be more helpful. I used the
tal:attributes="href static/style.css" syntax, except I didn't have
'style.css' in the static folder. All I got was "An internal error
occurred"... the terminal output was more useful, but I may not have
thought to look there.

  - Also, by default, zope3 with grokproject has very noisy logging with
parts/instance/bin/zopectl/bin fg

  - I think the 95% use case is that you want a common template for all
our pages, providing a common look and feel. I think the bootstrapped
grokproject should do that for you, so that all you have to do is modify
the template. It should also come with a simple stylesheet to encourage
CSS-based design.

That's it for now. Looking forward to the rest of the tutorial!

I'd also  love some documentation/examples of megrok.five. I think the
only way I'll realistically get to *use* Grok for something would be if
I could use it for Plone development. :-)

Martin