[Grok-dev] Re: timte-json branch

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Mar 24 20:16:52 EDT 2007

Tim Terlegård wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:07:55PM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hey Tim,
>>
>> I'd like to move the timte-json branch forward so we can merge it. Do I
>> understand it correctly that currently you haven't added tests for the
>> new functionality on the branch? We require tests (probably functional
>> tests in this case) for this to be added to Grok.
>
> Yes you understand perfectly, I haven't added any tests yet. I intend to
> write tests though. First time I tried I didn't get any tests running, but
> now they are working and here's how I did. Please tell me if there's a
> better way.

There is; there should never be a need to edit any scripts.

> 1) cd /path/to/my/grok/project
> 2) Edit bin/test and change
>   '/home/tim/dev/grok/fortesting/parts/zope3/src' to
>   '/home/tim/dev/grok/fortesting/parts/zope3/lib/python'
> 3) rm eggs/grok-0.9dev_r73254-py2.4.egg
> 4) ln -s /path/to/groktrunk/src/grok src/grok

> Now grok is using trunk instead of the shipped egg.

Instead, just check out Grok from SVN, and do:

$ cd grok
$ python2.4 bootstrap.py
$ bin/buildout

This information is in Grok's INSTALL.txt.

If you want to speed up installation and you already have a version of
Zope 3.3.1 installed, you can edit buildout.cfg and change the following:

* remove 'zope3' from the parts listing

* change the [zope3] section to read:

[zope3]
location = /path/to/zope3

* also go to the [test] section and change extra-paths

extra-paths = /path/to/zope3/lib/python

If you want to make one of your own projects use trunk Grok, you should:

$ cd yourproject

Check out Grok trunk:

$ svn co ... grok

Then edit buildout.cfg and add 'grok' to the 'develop' line in the
[buildout] section.

Rerun bin/buildout (bin/buildout -N is faster as it avoids network access)

I'm not sure what's up with the testrunner and grokproject - if it ships
with a bin/test that doesn't work out of the box, we do have a problem
though, so let us know if that's the case (and add a launchpad issue).