[Grok-dev] Re: timte-json branch

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sun Mar 25 12:37:32 EDT 2007

Tim Terlegård wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 01:16:52AM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Tim Terlegård wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Edit bin/test and change
>>>  '/home/tim/dev/grok/fortesting/parts/zope3/src' to
>>>  '/home/tim/dev/grok/fortesting/parts/zope3/lib/python'
>> I'm not sure what's up with the testrunner and grokproject - if it ships
>> with a bin/test that doesn't work out of the box, we do have a problem
>> though, so let us know if that's the case (and add a launchpad issue).
>
> grok trunk uses the zc.repice.zope3checkout recipe to just checkout the
> zope3 source to 'src'. grokproject uses the zc.recipe.cmmi recipe to
> download a tarball and install that in 'lib/python'.
>
> Is the difference that zc.recipe.cmmi will compile C extensions and be
> faster than the pure python code checkout? Or are there other
> differences? I guess the buildout in grok trunk is for development and
> that speed is no issue, but grokproject is used for serving an
> application and would benefit from a little boost?

The difference is that we hadn't figured out the cmmi approach yet when
we wrote the buildout.cfg for the Grok trunk. We could switch the Grok
trunk to the cmmi approach. I believe that is a bit nicer as it puts
less requirements on the end-user, as no SVN needs to be installed.

Then again, anyone developing the Grok trunk will have SVN installed
already. :) For grokproject it matters though - we cannot expect
everybody who uses grokproject to have SVN installed. (they hopefully
have some version control system to use, but we're not on a mission to
teach the world the benefits of version control anyway :)

I suspect the cmmi recipe can be a little bit faster than checking out
the same code from SVN. There isn't any difference that I know of for C
extensions - both approaches end up having to compile Zope 3's C extensions.