[Grok-dev] Re: RFC: Disable zope.app.rotterdam by default

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 26 17:56:43 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>> If Grok should at all come with a standard_macros-style skin, I don't
>>> think it should be Rotterdam. With its menus (especially the add
>>> menu) it alludes to a ZMI-like or even content management-y thing of
>>> which it is neither.
>>>
>>> Per sprint consensus, we should look into making a good-looking but
>>> very limited admin UI and forget about the "ZMI" (whatever it is
>>> anyway).
>>>
>>> If there are no objections, I will disable at least the
>>> zope.app.rotterdam package in grok and grokproject from now on.
>>
>> +1 from me.
>
> Cool. I'll go ahead and do that.

Sigh, I didn't realize zope.app.rotterdam was actually loaded by
zope.app/configure.zcml. Gah.

I think this definitely should be fixed in Zope proper
(zope.app/configure.zcml should be minimal). We might also want to think
about doing our own site bootstrapping and forget about
zope.app/configure.zcml altogether. There's a lot more in
zope.app/configure.zcml that we can skip (which should make [re]starts
faster, for example).

I'll investigate and report back.