[Grok-dev] Re: What is Grok anyways... time for a name change? :)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 14 08:41:33 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
[snip]
>> Grok, the caveman as a subculture. I am not convinced that he has
>> (already) become a subculture. Grok the caveman is a metaphor, and he
>> just gives me the wrong associations. Nonetheless, as an ironic comic
>> strip bashing on the evils in software development, yeah I think it
>> could become a really cool thing. As the poster boy of Grok... he
>> might actually be a problem. :(
>
> I disagree that this is a problem. Java has a silly merlin-wizard like
> thing. Linux has a fat penguin. BSD has a devil-looking-thing. Logos
> that are memorable and personable are more important, in my opinion,
> than a "I am really corporate and solid" me-too.

Note also that we're marketing Grok to developers primarily, not to
corporate/enterprise people. We do this as Grok is an open source
project, and attracting developers is more important than attracting
people into "enterprise". Open source projects that sound all
enterprisey *put off* open source developers. Open source developers
want to have fun.

Note that for enterpriseyness Grok can also point to Zope, which has a
foundation, etc, etc. Then, if Grok is successful with developers and
attracts a critical mass, we'll have a large part of the battle for the
enterprise already won. That time is the time to look into presenting
another enterprisey face for Grok.

That said, that doesn't mean I'm closed to tweaking our message so it
works better. If a caveman puts off some developers, we can look into
tweaking the caveman. We should just not forget our current primary
audience for the message is developers.