[Grok-dev] Re: Suggested site structure

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue May 15 14:20:58 EDT 2007

Hi Sebastian,

I'm impressed by your enthusiasm! :)

> Suggested site structure using the 4 E model (Excite> Educate>
> Empower> Engage).

Did you go to business school? :)

> I also suggest having the content mature over time.

Most definitely. This will take some time. It's important that we don't
have it look "unfinished" even if we plan to add more later, though.

> ** Evaluate ** (Excite)
>   - Introduction screencast

Personally, I think screencasts are an annoying way of presenting
information, mostly because I don't have the patience to sit through
them, and because I'm either in the office (when I can't turn up the
sound) or at home but listening to music. But they are kind of
"expected" these days and many people like them.

I would have some first-order content that presents benefits in
graphical and/or textual form, though.

>   - Overview (history, philosophy, architecture, features, business
> case ++)
>   - Case Stories (developer perspective)

I think you mean Case *Studies*, but yes - good idea.

>   - Code

I'd put simple code examples up front. At least I want to see this. :)

>   ++ The Business Case is for managers
>
> ** Learn ** (Educate)
>   - Recommended curriculum (suggested reading and learning path)

Definitely. Helping people start in the right place and point them where
to go next is paramount.

>   - Tutorial

We need to make sure we keep on keeping this relevant and up-to-date.

>   - Sample applications
>   - Forum

Why do we have Forum and Mailing list (below) in different sections?

>   - Online seminars (voice annotated h.234 screencasts)

Heh. Crawl before you can walk. :)

> ** Develop ** (Empower)
>   - API documentation
>   - Best practice (Howtos with sample code (and tests?))
>   - Templates (Application, component)
>   - Mailing list

We've had success with using nabble.com and styling it for the Plone
lists. See http://www.nabble.com/Plone-f6741.html.

>   - Bug/feature collector
>   - Road map
>
> ** Share ** (Engage)
>   - Guidelines
>   - Evangelist Blogs
>   - Mailing lists

Another one? :)

I'd keep the channels of communication together, otherwise people will
fine one first and use it, whether or not it's appropriate.

>   - Component directory

Overall, this feels sensible, though.

Martin