[Grok-dev] Re: Benefits of Grok -- please contribute

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 16 16:55:39 EDT 2007

Hey,

Fernando Correa Neto wrote:
[marketing the ZODB as a cool thing about Zope 3 and Grok]
> This can be dangerous.
> I was discussing sometime ago in this list on how to sell ZODB.
> Personally I love it, but the thing is that when you go selling
> projects, 90% of the time you'll find a scenario like this:
> IT Manager of the company: Ok, so you are going to implement your
> Grok/Zope3 solution. Here you have my Oracle database for the beckend.
> Have fun

I wouldn't say it's 90% of the time, but this is indeed something that
happens frequently in my experience.

[snip]
> I've gathered some material about ZODB and had a little discussion
> with Christian and Martjin and the plan was to implement the content
> for a zodb.zope.org the same way Sebastian Ware is trying to expose
> Grok in a better manner, BUT due to the lack on time right now, I
> can't do that much.

I still think something like zodb.zope.org would be a terrific idea, so
I hope you can do it later.

I think our answer to this problem should consist of three parts:

* a better presentation/marketing of ZODB, as with zodb.zope.org

* an easy, documented way to use Grok with sqlalchemy

* good XML export facilities. XML export is a buzzword that can counter
the "but it's not in our database!" issue.