[Grok-dev] Re: Developer scenario

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 16 17:40:02 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
[snip]
> It sounds to me like you wouldn't be "migrating" your application if you
> moved it to Zope 3 or Grok - you're rather be re-writing it. You may
> find that the added flexibility, manageability, testability (did anyone
> ever write a unit test for an in-ZODB python script?) and power of Zope
> 3, maybe with Grok to pull it all together, would pay off.

While it would be a *big* port, I think a lot of the code can survive
with only fairly mechanical changes to it. (I'm not saying automated, as
a human developer would probably need to do it, though we could even
gain tools to help here). One big plus is that many of the templates can
probably survive with only minor changes.

I've done quite a bit of thinking about scenarios like this (also in the
context of porting a classic Zope 2 app to a Five-based one) and have
some experience with porting existing code, and I think it can be done.
If the codebase is big and valuable enough, it can be worth it. It puts
your code in a better position for incremental refactoring afterwards.

That's not to say this isn't a fairly big step to take at once, so it's
definitely not for the weak of heart. Under the right conditions, I
think it can be worth it however.