[Grok-dev] Re: Skinning/themeing

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat May 19 17:01:07 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I'll go here to just remark on some risks with a pipelining to a
> separate system (deliverance) approach. That's not to say we shouldn't
> go there, I'm just analyzing tradeoffs:

I'm not bound to the idea that it's a separate system at all, just the
pattern and the concept. I think it makes sense to re-use code if we
can, but that's just business as usual.

> If a pipelining system is there and documented, people might feel
> obliged to use it, even though they don't need it (yet). A pretty weak
> risk perhaps, but something to be aware of.

It's a good point. It needs to be presented properly.

> And, again, a separate system to use for theming does increase the
> conceptual burden for the developer. Evolution of an application from
> everything-in-one-place to pipelines may not be entirely smooth either.

I think it could be a pretty linear evolutionary path, at least if it's
made easy enough.

> An in-system approach (where you work with concepts related to existing
> Grok concepts, like views, and existing templates) might allow people to
> learn and evolve more smoothly.

I agree, of course. Maybe we end up with something that is a
special/optimised case of match views, for example, and a separate
document/tutorial on "how to brand an existing Grok application"?

Martin