[Grok-dev] summary templating/skinning discussion

Kevin Smith kevin at mcweekly.com
Mon May 21 20:00:39 EDT 2007

Hi Martijn,

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think we have a broad consensus about your next step from the
> skinning discussion. Intent has been communicated and perspectives are
> exchanged. Noses are pointing in more or less the same direction. Now
> let's try to get a bit more concrete:
>
> a) start integrating some of Kevin Smith's skinning work into the Grok
> core
>
> b) investigate Kevin Smith's templating work for inclusion in the Grok
> core. I want to be careful whether we don't offer too many
> philosophies at the same time.
>
> c) carefully think through viewlets and think about what these would
> look like in the Grok core.
>
> d) make Grok template-language neutral
>
> e) experiment with Match Views/deliverance style theming
>
> Kevin, what do you think needs to be done for a)? I'm quite interested
> in starting that integration work, as I have the impression we're
> quite far along in this.

The discussion on a) left off with a consensus on the general
implementation. AFAIK we just need a consensus on the final naming
before porting into Grok core. If I find time tonite I'll pull together
a summary.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by b), other than a proposal in the
works to extend the capability of grok.template, I follow Philipp's
masterpage pattern in his NudgeNudge project.

http://codespeak.net/svn/z3/NudgeNudge

> b) and c) will need some percolation te in all our minds. I'd be happy
> to see someone volunteer writing a concrete proposal for these. But
> beware, if you write a proposal I'm going to try to get you on the
> hook for implementing it. :)
In Grok it's almost easier to write the code then the proposal. :)

> d) needs experimentation and some concrete development effort. We need
> to take 2 template languages besides ZPT and integrate them. I say 2
> as 1 beyond ZPT is not enough to test whether we have a good story. We
> need to investigate the Smorgasbord effort that started up - I need to
> dig up some links to that work from my mailbox. I'm interested in
> trying to start this work up at the post-EuroPython sprint, but I'd be
> happy to see work happen today.
I know you've mentioned this one in the past so +1 for supporting the
Buffet universal templating system to kill alot of birds with one stone.
http://projects.dowski.com/projects/buffet

Kevin Smith