[Grok-dev] Re: Organizing the further development effort

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat May 26 00:00:01 EDT 2007

Hi Sebastian!

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 20:38 +0200, Sebastian Ware wrote:

> I have proposed a new site design for grok.zope.org.

I have seen it and personally would _love_ to see something like this in
the admin-UI. Especially the buttons are very good looking, though I
agree with Lennart in respect of their contrast. A little bit more
brightness would be fine for me and my very old monitor (which turns
nearly every colour into some kind of grey). Would you mind me to
'steal' some of your artwork for the admin interface?

Regarding the grokzope3-problem I think it is a good idea to mention
Zope 3 - even in the logo. But, yes, it could be misunderstood if both
names are put consecutively. Your subtly designed shadows in the logo
made me think about putting "Grok" on top of "Zope3", because Grok in
reality is built on top of zope3 and zope3 is the "big shadow" always
backing up grok. Some sketches to illustrate that can be found here:

	https://gf1.gnufix.de/~uli/grok/logo

They are only there to give an idea of how it could look.

>  I would be happy
> to give some feedback on the admin interface too. I could probably
> also supply some graphics bits and pieces so we could make it look
> nice(r than any other admin interface on the planet...:p).

You are very welcome :-) Your apparent skills in graphics should give
the layout an enormous boost.

> I would also be interested in discussing the use of AJAX in the
> admin. I have used a really simple method myself (with the help of
> Mochikit) which gives excellent degradation for browsers without
> Javascript and hardly requires any AJAXification of the underlying code.

Ooh, well, why not? I had no plans for AJAX-support yet, but what you
say sounds promising. And some more AJAX-experiences would improve the
documentation as well. So let's do it if we can agree on the following
three rules of thumb: (1) every functionality of the interface should be
accessible also with a non-Javascript browser. (2) Functionality should
go before comfort: First make it work, then make it work nicely. This
means, that I would insert AJAXification as a stage-2 task into my todo
list (keeping it always in mind during stage 1). (3) If Martijn, Philipp
or Christian say no, then it won't happen (well, at least in public;-).
But I am sure, that people (including myself) would appreciate some
AJAXification - and the nicest interface on the planet can hardly cope
without it ;-) Any objections from the list?

Your experiences with Mochikit might be very helpful for me. I never
tried it before, but everthing you tell about it sounds very promising.
May I contact you via PM?

> All I want in return is an inside on when you are explicitly lying in
> the docs... I am so easily fooled... ;)

It's a deal :-)

Regards

--