[Grok-dev] Re: Organizing the further development effort

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat May 26 00:51:30 EDT 2007

Hi Martijn,

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 20:36 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]

> As part of this though, I'd like to see an effort towards exposing
> documentation that's already there. There is a lot of documentation
> available in a Zope 3 system: interface documentation and doctests. If
> we could get that integrated in a nice way into the admin UI (using
> apidoc infrastructure hopefully), we'd make great progress. Hopefully
> with a little bit of extra work we can provide an export to website
> facility to get that documentation exported for the website.

A completely automagically created documentation would be fine indeed.
Tons of knowledge are waiting for some simple (or complex) formatting. I
am currently experimenting with several python/zope3 based tools to
generate some reasonable output, but it's difficult. You easily get too
little or too much information. Anyway, I think it should be manageable.
I will put the documentation-support for the admin-UI into the todo
list.

> >       - Add application objects (already possible, maybe some more
> >         information about the possible applications in advance?)
>
> Definitely more information available would be great. Also access to
> configuration information, perhaps.

Okay.

> > [list of admin-UI features]

> I'd also add:
>
> * introspect schema of objects

Yes, this was already planned for the introspecition parts of apps and
other objects.

> * edit objects according to schema in simple forms. (not for real
> editing purposes, just debugging and experimentation)

Okay, this would enable real debugging.

> > [topics to cover in the tutorial]
>
> Definitely there is a lot more ground to cover. I wrote an outline for
> the tutorial that you may find interesting:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/tutorial_outline.txt?rev=73519&view=auto

Cool. I must confess, I overlooked this valuable document.

> It can definitely be extended.

It already contains most of the topics I collected. And some I
missed ;-)

> Grok actually has some AJAX support with the JSON views. :)

It seems AJAX becomes a real hot thing with Grok :-) This will get
broader space in documentation and, well, the admin-UI.

Thanks for the hints and all the input!

Uli