[Grok-dev] Re: grok.zope.org design proposal (ok, kill me...)

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Sat May 26 01:46:01 EDT 2007

26 maj 2007 kl. 02.13 skrev Martin Aspeli:

> Sebastian Ware wrote:
>
>>>  - layout is professional
>>>  - structure ("tracks") are good, clear
>>>  - I don't care too much for the yellow
>>>  - Way, way too little contrast on buttons and headings
>>>  - Text size/layout is fine, though there seems to be a bit too
>>> much variation in the font sizes used
>>>  - It's "case studies" not "case stories"
>>>
>> Is it the colour yellow you don't like or do you find this yellow
>> too  washed out? (all the colours are rendering more vividly in
>> Photoshop  so this might need some touch ups)
>
> Not sure. Yellow-on-white looks a bit funny, I think.

I understand what you are getting at. I'll work a bit more with the
yellow.

>> Case Stories was more of a conceptual idea of writing fun Case
>> Studies -- more stories than studies :)
>
> It doesn't work so well in the English language, though. ;) I'm
> pretty sure most native speakers would read that and assume it was
> a misunderstanding or a typo. "Stories" could work, or "Case studies".

Ok. :)

>>> Some deeper points:
>>>
>>>  - The inclusion of the caveman is too superficial. As I said
>>> before, I *like* the logo, and the concept permeates the
>>> documentation and examples. Let's build him in, not make him an
>>> afterthought
>> I found it very difficult to integrate the original caveman into
>> a  design idea that I could realise with any degree of quality.
>> This is  partly because of my personal limitations but also
>> because the art  work is made in such a way that it doesn't play
>> very well with web  design. Someone else might be able to pull
>> this off better though.
>
> Right, I think I understand that. I'm mostly just whingeing. :)
>
>> So i thought it would be better to keep the caveman as a way to
>> liven  up the content. :)
>
> That feels like a bit of a cop-out to me, but we can obviously
> address this later. I suspect we'd meet half way.

I even asked a friend who does a lot of illustrating to create an
alternative. I would be happy to show it, but I don't want to hurt
anybody's feelings.

>>>  - We need one caveman message. The way it's presented now, it
>>> says  "cavemen are stupid, this is where we try to dumb it down",
>>> which I  think is broadly negative. I'd rather we didn't attach
>>> so much  meaning to it, and just went with the theme as something
>>> light- hearted, personally.
>> I should have been a bit clearer on the fact that the text is
>> only  there to give a sense of the formatting. By bad. :)
>
> I know, I know - just making the point, since text and style
> normally stick before you intend them to.

Very true.

>>>  - Similarly, the logo and branding seems to be "Grok Zope 3".
>>> I'm  not sure we all agreed on that, and it's a decision that at
>>> least  we ought to vote on a few different proposals for - for
>>> the final  version of course, I realise you've just gone with
>>> what you have.
>>>
>> What I wanted to show was that the association between Grok and
>> Zope3  could be presented in a simple and natural way. I strongly
>> believe  that Zope3 is one of the major competitive advantages of
>> Grok. But, I  agree, no decision has been made regarding this.
>
> I agree with your point, we should just make an explicit decision.
> I think really, it's up to Martijn, Philipp and Christian.

Excellent. We shall await the verdict then... :p

Regards Sebastian