[Grok-dev] issueing a warning, not an error when template files are not associated

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:35:45 EST 2007

Hi,

The following behaviour is bothering me for, like, always, in Grok. I'd
like to have your opinion on it:

Whenever Grok finds a template file that it cannot associate with a view
component Grok will raise a GrokError and thus your application won't start.

Somehow this happens to me a lot; I guess I frequently copy or move or
create templates while developing, without (yet) having a view class for
it. Then I find Zope not starting and thus I need to somehow disable the
template, by renaming it for example (it used to be even harder: you had
to move it out of the dir, or prefix the filename with a dot, because
Grok would choke on unrecognized names).

Question: what about just issueing a UserWarning for any template that
could not be associated, instead just for the files with an unrecognized
filename?

As a consequence of the current behaviour:

By using the module-level grok.templatedir() directive, you can instruct
Grok to look into a specific directory for its template. I get the
impression however, that you cannot have view components in two seperate
modules looking for templates in the same grok.templatedir() - because
after grokking the first module, Grok will conclude there're
unassociated templates left.

So, another question: is it possible to raise the GrokError (or the
afformentiond UserWarning) about unassociated templates after the
grokkking process for a package is completed?

What do people think?

kind regards,
jw