[Grok-dev] grok.Form and template files

Thomas Lotze tl at gocept.com
Thu Nov 8 12:05:46 EST 2007

Hi,

we've noticed an inconvenience when using grok forms:

If there is an appropriately named and located page template to be found
in the application package, a form will use it to render itself. This is
technically expected behaviour, forms being views. However, one often
wants forms such as edit and add forms to render themselves rather than
typing all that widget and button stuff in a page template.

It seems to happen often enough to be a nuisance, though, that one
accidentally has a template lying around that gets picked up by a form
while one expects the form to render itself - this bit us several times
when switching simple displays to edit forms, for example. We feel this is
a usability bug - maybe forms should make pick up page templates a little
less implicitly.

What's other people's opinion? I'm tempted to file a bug unless I get shot
down for the idea now. Thanks for feedback in any case.

--
Thomas