[Grok-dev] Re: newbie question: megrok.five status

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Nov 14 11:05:56 EST 2007

Hey,

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[snip]
> I think we should from now on be clear in our terminology. For me,
> "Grok" is *the* web application framework that's distributed in the
> 'grok' package. It runs on Zope 3. There's only one Grok. Let's keep it
> that way.
>
> Now, I'm all for reusing Grok's underlying mechanisms and philosophies
> elsewhere (e.g. in Plone), but whatever it is, it should NOT be called
> Grok. We'll just end up confusing ourselves, just like we did with Zope
> 2 vs. Zope 3. I bet we would also run into the same marketing problem
> (e.g. if the Plone thing sucked but Grok actually ruled, people would
> condemn Grok because of their experience with the Plone Grok-lookalike.)

I agree with this. We also want marketing cross-fertilization though:
the Plone thing will presumably not suck and hopefully will get people
to look at Grok, and since Grok doesn't suck that will interest people
in looking at the Plone thing.

We could say the Plone thing "uses Grok technologies", just like it uses
"Zope 3 technologies". Perhaps we can come up with a shorthand for that.