[Grok-dev] updating the versions list

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Nov 19 11:28:22 EST 2007

Hi there,

We need volunteers to experiment with using a KGS-generated versions.cfg
for the Grok trunk.

KGS is a package index like PyPi that contains a known-good,
tested-together version of Zope 3 dependencies. One way to use it is to
point 'index' to it in the [buildout] section, but that's not what I'm
proposing as I think we rely on a zope.app.publisher that is newer than
is in the KGS (or will be in this KGS). Grok needs manage its own lists
of versions, also for the reason of utter stability (what works
together, should work tomorrow, no matter what new bugfixes are released
that can break things).

KGS *also* generates a versions.cfg style list however. This means we
can just point our buildout.cfg to the regular cheeseshop, and base our
versions.cfg on the KGS one, as everything in KGS should also be in the
cheeseshop. For the extra packages not maintained by KGS, we simply peg
down a version in addition (we're already doing this). For the packages
where we run ahead of Zope 3.4, we can peg it down to a newer version.
It'd be nice if zope.app.publisher had a proper release though - we
shouldn't be relying on ugly dev-r898098 style versions only available
in download.zope.org/distribution.

So, the tasks:

* obtain a versions.cfg from KGS

* amend it with our extra packages

* amend it where we run ahead of some releases

* make proper releases wherever we run ahead

* try removing all dependency links to download.zope.org/distribution
and starting a clean buildout.

* run the Grok tests, try starting Grok and see whether it works.