[Grok-dev] Re: Best practive for browser quirks...

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Nov 21 14:20:51 EST 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> What is the best practice for handling browser quirks in a Grok
> application?

I don't think we have one yet. I guess browser quirks fall in three areas:

* HTML

* CSS

* Javascript

How common are HTML-related browser quirks? We need examples there.

CSS-related browser quirks are known to be common. One way to handle
this would be to serve different CSS altogether based on the browser in
question, sniffing it server-side. This has issues when you use a page
cache though - something like Squid wouldn't be able to cache the css as
it'd be incorrect when approached with a different browser unless
special measures (I don't know which) are taken.

The other way to handle CSS related browser quirks is to use a lot of
hacks and so on to make sure that the CSS is compliant on all browsers.
That approach would work out of the box for Grok.

For Javascript, hopefully browser quirks can mostly be isolated off into
javascript libraries and frameworks, and letting them handle them.

Comments? Suggestions? It's quite possible I missed particular problems
and solution strategies. What would people want from Grok in this area?