[Grok-dev] Re: Neanderthal sprint topics

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Oct 3 12:49:47 EDT 2007

Hey,

I think in certain settings being very strict and explicit about what
enters your page templates ("push") makes sense. This way your template
can only reach information prepared by the programmers and the template
developer will never be confronted with weird errors coming from deep in
the system due to method calls and such (no ComponentLookupError). I
think this can make sense for larger, team-driven projects, especially
those which have the template developer role in a separate individual
than the model developers. In some cases (though not with Genshi in
particular) can see such a special 'push' step can increase performance
as the template language can be simpler.

For smaller projects, such as one person projects, this strict
separation can hinder, for reasons Brandon talks about.

So I want to separate the concerns:

* We want to make Genshi work with Grok. That is, all the use cases that
we can fulfill with ZPT can be fulfilled with Genshi templates as well.

* We want to explore push mechanisms. We want the ability to work with
Genshi in a setting where we strictly limit which objects get pushed
into the template.

Currently at the sprint we're interested in the first concern: just have
the raw ability to use Genshi with Grok and letting us do whatever we want.

We're also thinking about ways to adjust the way Grok views work so that
the controlled "push" scenario becomes implementable, but that's not our
primary goal right now. I think this is the right way to go about it, as
otherwise we'll get lost in the complexity of how to make this work
right away, before we know we can even create a link to a static image
with Genshi.